The architecture of Mumbai blends Gothic, Victorian, Art Deco, Indo-Saracenic and contemporary architectural styles. Many buildings, structures and cinema architecture design pdf monuments remain from the colonial era. Mumbai, after Miami, has the second largest number of Art Deco buildings in the world. Bombay Architecture came to be present through the British in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
At first it was the neo-Classical style of architecture, but then a new style came to exist, one that reflected modern European fashions: Gothic Architecture. Where The Classical has an orderly monochromatic presence, the Gothic style is expressive, disjointed with surfaces of lives colors, beautified with carved and narrative elements, consisting of flying buttresses, lancet windows and stained glass. At first, due to the immense freed space it obtained, Gothic building only served as churches, as religious buildings built by people of the 11th century.
However, soon enough there came a need for public halls, parliament houses, mansions, and the Gothic era was the solution. Indian architects came to analyze this style and represent it and put it into play in relation with the climate, and in relation to society’s plans and sensibilities. According to writer Jan Morris, “Bombay is one of the most characteristically Victorian cities in the world, displaying all the grand effrontery of Victorian eclectism”. The British influence on buildings in the city is evident from the colonial era.
However, the architectural features include a range of European influences such as German gables, Dutch roofs, Swiss timbering, Romance arches and Tudor casements often interfused with traditional Indian features. Bombay City Hall was built during the period 1820 and 1835, by Colonel Thomas Cowper.
The University of Mumbai Library and Rajabai Tower, Saint Xavier’s College, The Secretariat, Telegraph Office, and Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus are also fine examples of gothic architecture in the city. The Rajabai Tower in South Mumbai is located in the confines of the Fort campus of the University of Mumbai. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, an English architect, and was modelled on Big Ben, the clock tower of the United Kingdom’s houses of Parliament in London.